Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Phone wars... Or is it 'woes'?



We've really come a long way from the cartoonish green screens to the vibrant colour displays of modern smartphones. The advent of smartphones was a godsend. We were saved from banal and leg-breaking banter that filled up most of our days.

You remember how awkward it was to be waiting in a restaurant reading old text messages on your tiny Nokia 2300 while you waited for your date to show up? We don’t have to do that anymore. Now, you could be reading a book, going through those (usually hilarious) WhatsApp pictures and videos, play an epic role playing game, or simple Candy Crush. Anyway, waiting has been made so easy it’s practically an item on everyone’s roster. If those guys in the reception lounge are anything to go by, you’d be forgiven to think they just came for a nonexistent meeting simply so they could sit in the vey comfy leather couches and surf using the office Wi-Fi. Were you the awkward introvert at parties, who was always forced to ‘go make some friends’? No problem. If the pictures on your phone won’t break the ice with the saucy stranger, you might as well just talk about it to your friends on social media. It’s a brave new world for people out there.

I'm yet to find a direct correlation between phone size and social status. The iPhones are small but seem to command respect. But not from the guys who rock Google Nexus phones. Those ones look at the iPhone guys like they are cavemen beating at a computer. I'm not one to judge. One should always get what makes them happy. Unless you're a heavy user of Instagram. In that case, the bigger the screen, the better. Trust me. 

Of course, it’s all fun and games until the battery inevitably runs low. Man, these phones are such power-hogs. My previous phone probably had the record for the fastest battery drain, going from 100% to 0% in an astonishing 4 hours and 12 minutes. Yes, it was officially timed. So, I was the guy moving about with a charger all the time. I still detest power banks, because it would barely ever solve my particular problem. In its defence, it really was a tired old phone. Still, it made for interesting social situations. As a habit, I found myself engaging in social graces only if the battery was low. I won’t speak of the merits that resulted from such habits, but let’s just say it was tiresome. So, when it became inevitable to ditch it, I decided to take it several notches higher. 

My current phone, which I fondly call ‘The Armoured Titan’ is quite the beast. I scoff at power banks now. It’s such a behemoth that it’s frighteningly sluggish. Its current record is from 100% to 7% in 46 hours. And that is on average usage. The best part is that I can continue to be antisocial without fear of my battery running out, thereby forcing me to endure tiresome interactions.

No comments:

Post a Comment